Early Hudson Light Truck

Founded in 1897, the Hudson Light and Power Department has seen tremendous growth in the demand from electricity.

Old Steam Station

The Town of Hudson took title to the plant owned by the Hudson Electric Co.

Distribution System

1897

Service centered in the downtown area of Hudson.

Lights
for Sale,

1904

Municipal Power began with 25 Street Lights and 22 Customers

Distribution System
1930

Despite the depression, the Hudson Light system grew.

Diesel Engine,
1930

System grew 46% between 1932 and 1935, paving the path for another 1MW diesel engine to be installed in 1937. This engine became known as “Engine #5”

Engine Excavation,
1942

Engine #6 was installed with capacity of 2 MW.

Distribution System
1950

The nation-wide housing boom impacted Hudson and Stow

Station Tour,
1951

Hudson Light still offers tours of its Generating Station today.

Flood,
1955

The Flood of 1955 was just one of many storms Hudson Light weathered.

Engine Installation,
1955

To help meet the expanding load, engine #7 was installed, 3MW still active today

Engine Test,
1956

Constant maintenance keeps the Generating Facilities in peak condition.

Snowstorm,
1958

Hudson Light is noted for its fast restoration times.

Distribution System
1960

Growth & reliability continued during the 1960's when Hudson Light kept the lights shining during the Great Blackout.

New Developments
1971

During the 1970's, the New England Power Pool was formed and Hudson Light opened a new Office,

Substation Improvements
2000

The decade saw transmission tower replacement (wood poles to steel towers),
115 kV breaker replacement and
SCADA implementation